LIONS CLUB OF NAWALA - SRI LANKA
Welcome to Lions Club Of Nawala
Club Number : 25605
Club Ident : 5026
Club Started Date : 14-Dec-1972
District : 306 C2
Region : 04
Zone : 03
Admin Account : 1000 2000 4423
Project Account : 1000 2000 4414
Scoliosis Account : 1000 2000 4405
Bank : Nations Trust Bank
Branch : Colpetty
Administration Account for : Membership fees deposits
Project Account for : Donations & Fundraiser income deposits
Lions Clubs Extended by Lions Club of Nawala
Lions Club of Diyawannawa (1983)
LEO Clubs Sponsored by Lions Club of Nawala
LEO Club of Nawala Metro
LEO Club of Mahanama College (Since Jul 2012)
History of Lions Club of Nawala
Sri Lanka Lionisom was introduced to Sri Lanka way back in 1958 as a club extension from the South Indian District of 304.
As a result “Lions Club of Colombo” was born on the 01st of April 1958. Later this was renamed as “Lions Club of Colombo Host”. They were instrumental in the forming of Lions club of Nawala which was inaugurated in December 1972. The extension Chairman was the illustrious and colorful personality Past District Governor – Lion Monsoor Ghouse MJF. The Lions club of Nawala celebrated the Charter Presentation in April 1973. Year on year the Charter Anniversary was celebrated in the form of a picnic except in 1983 when this function was celebrated along with the inauguration of the Lions Club of Diyawanawa, which was extended by the Lions Club of Nawala.
Originally Lions Club of Nawala belonged to Administrative District 306. Late Lion S.B. Ranathunga was the first District officer to represent Lions Club of Nawala when he was chosen as a Zone Chairman in 1975/76 Lionistic year under the Governorship of Lion Chuck Wijenathan. With the growth of Lions Clubs in Sri Lanka, District 306 was divided to A & B in 1978 and further growth resulted in another re-demarcation of areas. This 1989/90 change pushed the Club to District 306C and with it came the honor of producing its first District Governor Lion Reggie Perera MJF was elected as the Governor of the new District 306C after a keenly contested election. In between there were many cabinet portfolios held by members of Lions Club of Nawala ranging from Distric Chairman, Zone Chariman, Region Chariman, Cabinet Treasurer, Cabinet Secretary up to Deputy District Governor.
Again in the year 2001/02 the Club had the good fortune of producing the second District Governor when Lion Upali Edirisinghe MJF was elected for the coveted post. Not many Clubs have in their ranks two PDG’s. The Club now belongs to Administrative District 306C2 after the latest re-structuring. Motto of Lionism is “WE SERVE” and Lions Club of Nawala started its community service with a Medical clinic as a joint project along with the neighboring Lions Club of Nugegoda.
However, in 1977 Lions Club of Nawala organized a Medical clinic, a project of its own at the Lions Activity Centre in Kotte. This project takes pride of place among many other activities of the Club’s annual project calendar. Over the years the Club has carried out various types of projects beneficial to a wide spectrum of the society such as conducting employment oriented projects like sewing classes for girls, teaching of English language both spoken and written to youth of Nawala and Rajagiriya areas, conducting of meaningful seminars of the subjects of “Liner Shipping Services”, “intermodal Transport”, “Build your own House”, “Prevention of Drug Abuse”, and also conducting “Do you know” contests for youth. Most of the projects were conducted to go with the theme of District Governor as well as the International President’s guide lines every year. May fund raising events were also conducted over the years to enable the club to carry out service oriented projects.
Lions Club of Nawala was one of the first clubs to have a joint meeting with a foreign Club in Sri Lanka. This was held in 1976 when 05 members of Lions Club of Itami Sasahara belonging to District 335A of Japan visited the country. The joint meeting was conducted in Sinhala and Japanese Languages utilizing the services of an interpreter. In August, 1981 the first off shore joint project was organized by The Club when they arranged an International Cultural project together with 40 Japanese children aged ranging from 5 to 17 participated in a Musical Show held at B.M.I.C.H. main auditorium.
The Club has the proud and privileged record of extending the Lions Club of Diyawannawa in 1983 and the Lions Club of Haputale in 1997. The Club completed forty years of dedicated service and moved to face a fifth decade of existence as much as Forty one leaders have been produced as Presidents of the Club and that speaks volumes of the contribution. The Club have made to promote leadership development in the Lions movement in Sri Lanka. Also in the year 2014 Lions Club of Nawala Metro was merged.
The merger also resulted in bringing in two of the most active Leo Clubs in Sri Lanka namely, Leo Club of Mahanama College and Leo Club of Nawala Metro under our banner. Now it has grown to five with Leo club of Ananada College, Leo Club of Thurstan College & Leo Club of Carey College coming under the wing of Lions club of Nawala and today we are privilege to be the only Lions Club in Multiple District 306 – Sri Lanka to sponsor Five Leo Clubs. Fifteen of our past leaders have departed from us and gone beyond the great divide but we remember them with love and gratitude for the great and enduring services they so unselfishly contributed to the club as well as great Lions movement in Sri Lanka.
Web Admin : Lion Gamini Ranjith
Tel : 071 8888 111
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org